Altering Sewing Patterns: Tops and Bodices
Time & Location
IMPORTANT NOTE: This is a virtual class series that will meet for Zoom live video sessions on the following dates. Makeup sessions will not be available.
- Wednesday, February 17, 8:00-8:30 PM
- Wednesday, February 24, 8:00-8:30 PM
- Wednesday, March 3, 8:00-8:30 PM
- Wednesday, March 10, 8:00-8:30 PM
Level: Advanced beginner/intermediate. You should be comfortable using a sewing machine and sewing garments using patterns.
We provide: A copy of the Grainline Willow Tank or Cashmerette Springfield Top pattern and video instructions for a wide variety of common pattern alterations.
You bring: Fabric and notions, a sewing machine, and some basic tools (see below). Students receive a 10% discount on class supplies purchased at Notion.
Class length: Four weeks of unlimited email support and video access (February 15-March 14), plus four live group video sessions via Zoom
Every body is different, and the beauty of sewing your own clothes is that you can create garments that are perfectly fitted for YOU! Over the course of four weeks and with the help of a simple tank top pattern, this class will cover some of the most common adjustments that you can make to commercial sewing patterns for tops, blouses, and dress bodices. Techniques include how to evaluate fit issues, combining sizes, lengthening and shortening, and common bust and shoulder adjustments.
The goal of this class is to help you learn versatile techniques using the Grainline Willow Tank or Cashmerette Springfield Top pattern as a jumping off point. While everyone works at a different pace, the goal is for you to finish the class with a modified version of the pattern that you can sew into a great fitting top or dress.
You will receive a print copy of the pattern included in your class fee. Since sewing clothes is all about expressing your unique style, we will have you provide your own fabric. Students receive a 10% discount on class supplies purchased at Notion. Using Notion’s detailed video tutorials and the pattern instructions, you will work on the project at your own pace. Class participants will then come together for weekly live group video sessions to troubleshoot, share successes, and ask questions. With our support and camaraderie, you’ll have mastered pattern alterations in no time!
Your class fee includes:
- Print copy of the Grainline Willow Tank sewing pattern in sizes 0-18 or the Cashmerette Springfield Top in sizes 12-28.
- Access to detailed video tutorials created by your Notion instructor specifically for this class
- Four live group video sessions via Zoom
- Unlimited email support throughout the month
- An exclusive coupon code to use after the class - our way of inspiring you to start your next project!
You will need to provide:
- An internet connection and a device with video chat capabilities
- A sewing machine that you know how to use
- Fabric and notions according to the pattern requirements
- Muslin or other spare fabric for making one or more test versions of the pattern for fitting
- A measuring tape for determining your size
- Sharp fabric scissors, pins, and other basic sewing supplies
- An iron and ironing board
- Tracing paper and pencil are strongly recommended
- While we will not be adhering strictly to the technique it outlines, the book The Complete Palmer/Pletsch Guide to Fitting is a valuable reference text that covers many of the fit issues and alterations we will address in this class.
Students receive a 10% discount on class supplies purchased at Notion. Once your registration is complete, watch your inbox for instructions on how to use your supply discount and access course materials.
Limited to 8 participants. Requires 4 participants to run. In the event of cancellation due to low enrollment, registered participants will receive notice and a refund 3 days prior to the scheduled start date of the series.
Don't hesitate to contact us with questions at email@example.com.
I understand that participation in this class/event may include inherently dangerous activities, including but not limited to the use of scissors, rotary cutting blades, pins, needles, and other sharp implements; the use of motorized sewing machines with sharp, fast-moving parts; and the use of hot steam irons and other electrified and/or high-temperature equipment. I agree to exercise appropriate care when participating and to refrain from participating if I am taking medication or am under the influence of any substances with any tendency to affect negatively my motor skills or level of care and attention. I release from all claims, demands, liability, right or causes of action of whatsoever kind and waive my right to sue Notion LLC, their employees, officers, members, and agents from any and all claims in any way connected with any injury, illness (including death), or economic loss I may suffer or which may result from my participation in this class/event. If registering on behalf of a minor child, I acknowledge that I am their parent or legal guardian and agree to their participation and to the above liability waiver on their behalf.
BY REGISTERING FOR THIS CLASS/EVENT, I ACKNOWLEDGE THAT I HAVE READ AND AGREE TO THE ABOVE LIABILITY WAIVER.
- Single Registration$139$1390$0